Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Finding Web Resources in Scholarly Research
Note: We have researched and listed web resources for use in scholarly work in each of the academic subjects offered at Chestnut Hill College.
They are listed in the Topics tab of the individual subject guides. (Select one from the Subjects menu on the left.)
The tabs in this general Web Resources guide may contain other useful resources for your research.
Is it appropriate for scholarly research?
See also: Evaluating Websites
1. Accuracy of Web Documents
- Who wrote the page and can you contact him or her?
- What is the purpose of the document and why was it produced?
- Can the content be independently verified from other sources? This is especially important if the author is not identified.
2. Authority of Web Documents
- Does the author have expertise on the topic?
Search a library database or Google Scholar to identify other writings by the author and to see if s/he has been cited by others.
- Check the domain (example: .net .edu .gov .org) of the document, what institution publishes this document?
- Is the publisher scholarly or respected in the particular industry?
3. Objectivity of Web Documents
- What goals/objectives does this page meet?
- Does the content express a bias; is the bias recognized or hidden; how does the bias effect the usefulness of the information?
- Red flags: Inflammatory language, poor spelling or grammar.
- Is the advertising (if any) separate from the informational content?
- Is the information presented cited correctly?
4. Currency of Web Documents
- When was it produced?
- When was it updated?
- How up-to-date are the links (if any)?
Chat with us by using the prompt at the bottom of the page.
If we aren't online at the moment, leave us a message and we will reply!
Email the Librarians
or email from this list
Visit Logue Library
9601 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118