Check back here often to see what's new in the world of web-based research!
Finding Web Resources in Scholarly Research
Note: We have researched and listed web resources for use in scholarly work in each the academic programs offered at Chestnut Hill College. They are listed in the Web Resources tab of the individual program subject guides. (Select one from the Subjects menu on the left.)
The tabs in this general Web resource guide may contain other useful resources for your research. When you are finished exploring this guide, please take a moment to fill out the Feedback form at the bottom of this page!
Evaluating Web Resources: Is it appropriate for scholarly research?
1. Accuracy of Web Documents
- Who wrote the page and can you contact him or her?
- What is the purpose of the document and why was it produced?
- Can the content be independently verified from other sources? This is especially important if the author is not identified.
2. Authority of Web Documents
- Does the author have expertise on the topic?
Search a library database or Google Scholar to identify other writings by the author and to see if s/he has been cited by others.
- Check the domain (example: .net .edu .gov .org) of the document, what institution publishes this document?
- Is the publisher scholarly or respected in the particular industry?
3. Objectivity of Web Documents
- What goals/objectives does this page meet?
- Does the content express a bias; is the bias recognized or hidden; how does the bias effect the usefulness of the information?
- Red flags: Inflammatory language, poor spelling or grammar.
- Is the advertising (if any) separate from the informational content?
- Is the information presented cited correctly?
4. Currency of Web Documents
- When was it produced?
- When was it updated?
- How up-to-date are the links (if any)?
Please take a moment to give us some feedback about your experience with our web pages and the resources posted here! If you think we fell short, please leave a comment so that we can improve. Thanks!
Chat Now with a Logue Librarian
Please leave your email contact information if you have to log off your chat before you get a response.
Chestnut Hill College
9601 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118